I've been pondering whether to get the Finale 08 or Sib5. After seeing the remarks of the past few days I believe I will invest in the Sib and see how it goes. I've always used Simple Entry, with mouse and computer keyboard, so the learning curve may not be as steep. I, too, am tired of MM upgrading but not improving. Wish me luck!

Bruce Clausen

----- Original Message ----- From: "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Goodbye Finale

Johannes Gebauer wrote:
On 03.08.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
It will be interesting to see if the same stubbornness that caused you to refuse to do the Finale tutorials in full will cause you problems learning Sibelius, too.

Well, in all fairness, and not really knowing Sibelius much, I do know that a lot of people find Sibelius more intuitive, easier to learn, and most of them find they get _much_ better results out of the box. It is probably still true that if you want to have full control of all parameters Finale will be the better tool, but to easily put music on paper, and make it look good it really seems Sibelius is still a long way ahead.

I think Will probably made the best decision. I started to steer people towards Sibelius if they are looking for a powerful but easy to use tool.

Johannes

Working with one foot in both camps these days I have to agree with Johannes. Sibelius5 is much more powerful and allows for greater adjustability of more items than earlier versions, if desired, but still lags behind Finale for adjustability of minutiae. But for neat, easy to read, easy to enter simplicity, Sibelius wins over Finale hands-down.

And that's without having to do ANY tutorials. So while it's possible to rag on someone for not having done the tutorials to really begin to learn all that Finale can offer, it really isn't fair if they want to move to a program where great output is possible without doing tutorials.

And the initial shift for experienced Finale users, especially for those accustomed to working entirely from the computer keyboard in Speedy Entry, is a bit of a struggle but for people without the Finale baggage, Sibelius' note entry is really easy to learn. And it's simpler than Finale's Simple Entry, in my experience.

I, too, have begun to steer people to Sibelius, if they don't want the notation program to get in the way of working with the music. Finale is the better music engraver's tool, but Sibelius is the better notation program for the 99% of musicians who don't want to become professional engravers.

--
David H. Bailey