A wide monitor is terrific. I have the 30" cinema and I'll never go
back to anything smaller (or square). I can see (in a usable
percentage) a full score top to bottom, and one or more phrases left
to right in scroll view (often at 100%). In page view, I can get an
8.5x11 page at 200%, (just cutting off the bottom margin). Amazing for
editing. There is plenty of room for palettes and even a word doc with
text (or a web page or -- for those tedious days -- a movie window.
Did I just admit that?).

There are very few issues with stretching square to wide. There are
some smarmy web designers who add a command for full screen, but  you
can always drag it back. I find few web pages force full screen, and
those that do are usually in fixed columns.

I'd simply get the biggest monitor that you can afford and have room
for. Screen real estate is a precious commodity.

-Carolyn