On 24 Aug 2007 at 20:43, John Howell wrote:

> As to adapting instrumentation to the music, I tried to point out that
> most bands do not and cannot, with the possible exceptions of the wind
> ensembles at large music schools or bands that consider themselves
> truly professional.  And of course among that handful of professional
> bands we have to include the premier bands in each of the military
> services, and they cannot blithely add instruments to order because
> the players must be in the military and must be assigned to specific
> bands and have their own line in the Table of Organization.

But that isn't the issue -- it's not adding odd instruments at all.
There's nothing odd about the instrumentation of the Fulton pieces,
except that we now use different transpositions and very closely
related instruments (with the exception of cornets, which I would
consider a hugely different instrument because of the completely
different bore, which has huge consequences for both tone,
articulation and agility). It's not a matter of needing to add a BBb
contrabass clarinet or a bass sax, but a matter of using a C picc
instead of Db, F horns instead of Db and so forth.

Now, in college-level bands, surely the tenor sax majors and many of
the altos also double on soprano, so I don't see how that would be
incredibly difficult to come by one player for it (just as it's not
hard to put a Bb Clarinet player on Eb -- nobody can make Eb Clarinet
sound good :).

So it's not a matter of adding instruments to the basic ensemble but
of omitting instruments that are not used in the particular piece,
and substituting the closest reasonable instruments when the
originals are obsolete.

That's what I don't see as happening, whereas these groups surely
have the resources to do so.

> And by the way, I agree with you that the best college wind ensembles
> should be included at the professional level, but only because there
> are so few truly professional wind ensemble, especially touring
> ensembles in existence today.  Again, there's a world of difference
> between the band world and the orchestra world.

I see wind ensemble as a different world, chamber music-oriented (one
on a part, like an orchestral wind section), instead of massed
instruments, so that's completely different -- they are always ad hoc
in instrumentation, more or less.

But I'm asking about something else entirely. Maybe I'm not
explaining it well?

Of course, I certainly believe that all new editions of these old
works should include both the original parts and all the alternates
that make it playable by standard modern bands. In the case of the
Fulton, I just don't see any severe adaptation necessary (other than
the cornet/trumpet thing, which is endemic in almost all historical
band music, even that which remains in the repertory, like Sousa),
and surely there's a host of pieces for which that is the case.