At 8:25 AM -0400 8/25/07, dhbailey wrote:

It's a very tricky situation, and one that composers have always had to navigate carefully. John Cacavas sold an awful lot of band music. His arrangements have something for everyone and doublings/cues for those situations when the originally desired instrument for a passage isn't available.

I think David makes a very important point here. When I write for band, it's usually for our Community Band (although the music is playable by any band or wind ensemble, of course). And I do make a very conscious effort, within my musical conception, to keep in mind every section and even individual players, and try to give them something satisfying and perhaps challenging to play. Maybe it's because I'm both a performer and a teacher, rather than a hard-core composer, but I LIKE the players to enjoy my music. I have a feeling that too many wannabe orchestral composer don't think like that at all, and then don't understand why there music doesn't get played. You have to compose for yourself, of course, but also for your players and for your audiences.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music