On 25 Aug 2007 at 14:34, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>
> > There are also national variations, as I found to my surprise when
> > presented with a piece scored for the standard Maltese band of
> > today, which is so different from the American one that I felt
> > compelled to add this note to the instrumentation page:
> >
> > This piece is scored for a standard Maltese band. With the
> > composerÕs approval, additional parts for the full complement of an
> > American concert band are included among the performance materials.
> >
> > Conductors wishing to play this piece with the forces for which it
> > was conceived should use approximately the following numbers of
> > players: 1+1 flutes, 2 E² clarinets, 12+10 B² clarinets, 2 alto
> > sax, 2 tenor sax, 6+5 trumpets, 1+1+1 horns, 1+1+1 trombones, 6
> > baritones, 6 euphoniums, 6 tubas, 1+1+1 percussion.
>
> Whee! Six and five trumpets, 6 baritones, 6 euphs, 6 tubas, and only
> two flutes one on a part and three horns one on a part! You know,
> sometimes I say to myself, I sure would like to hear more bottom end,
> well I might just like it in Malta!

Yes, but that's somewhat balanced out by 22 Bb clarinets.

The band is, pretty much, by definition, a low and middle range
ensemble in comparison to the orchestra, with few instruments that
can go as high as violins do regularly in orchestral music.

The surprise for me in that instrumentation is the trombones,
actually.