On 24 Aug 2007 at 22:29, John Howell wrote:

> Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying, and of course it's
> possible to delete instruments from a given ensemble, but you'd have
> to have a conductor who believes in doing so, and players who accept
> that it is a good idea to have a few minutes off.

Yes, but it's mostly not done, right?

> Aaron's suggestion that it might be time for a HIP approach to
> earlier band music might be just the ticket, for those interested in
> that kind of thing, but that will always be a small minority.

Seems like a given to me. It could make programming easier, too,
though scheduling of rehearsals would be harder. That is, make up a
performance from different groups of players in different ensembles --
 with less music for some of the players, perhaps the groups overall
could play harder music prepared in a shorter time. That's the
approach we take in the NYU Collegium, where hardly anyone performs
in everything (well, I almost always do, but that's because I'm a
continuo and viol player both).