At 11:25 PM +0100 9/9/07, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
To the wisdom of the list:

I am working for a publisher who wants to name me as an engraver. He insists that it should say, in English:

Music setting by Johannes Gebauer

To me this sounds as though I set, ie arranged the music. All I did was the engraving, I had no part in the arrangement.

Yes, it could easily be so misinterpreted.

Shouldn't it say "Music Engraving by Johannes Gebauer"?

Yes it should. At some point, one could speak about "note setting," but nowadays that means engraving. Is your publisher a native English speaker?

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music