dc wrote:
dhbailey écrit:
However, the term "Music Typesetting" would also be possible with no misunderstanding, but I would hold out for "Music Engraving."

I'm curious: wouldn't "music typesetting" in its original sense refer to music printed from movable type, as opposed precisely to engraving? In which case engraving would be closer than typesetting to what one does on the the computer.

And regardless of the orginal meaning, I think "engraving" has a higher quality connotation than "setting", so it would have my preference.

I guess it all comes down to semantics, and I, too, like "engraving" better than "typesetting" but I'm not sure with computers which we're actually closer to.

Engraving implies using a tool to place certain objects but also using gravers and scrapers and other tools to hand-draw many of the elements.

Typesetting implies taking pre-formed items and placing them in the proper sequence to get the desired printed result.

I don't hand-draw any of the elements in Finale, I take them from pre-formed items and place them in their proper places, which could be construed as being closer to typesetting than to engraving. Yes, I do hand-shape certain slurs and ending brackets, but I am not hand-drawing them, merely reshaping the preformed elements.

On the other hand, the printed result looks much more like hand-engraved music than it looks like typeset music.

Perhaps we need to use a new term in situations such as Johannes's, and have the publisher give the credit:
"Music computer-engraved by Johannes Gebauer"

--
David H. Bailey