Hi David et al,

I am happy with the way the project is going. I would not have stopped other activities to take the time to write this, except for Gary's enthusiastic insistence and encouragement (and basic business decency). He is convinced that the interactivity - the examples playing back while the score scrolls on the screen, will be a significant factor in creating interest in the project, which will be a DVD/book or something. We are having some difficulty figuring out the final form. My only regret is that real recordings of most of the examples are not affordable, but then selling JABB as a tool for arranger/composers is part of the raison d'etre of the project. There are a few recorded examples, some from Dave Berger's wonderful arrangements (excerpted from his CDs) and a few piano/vocal things that are from a recording of my fold song arrangements. Some of the JABB things are quite good - well "massaged" by a gifted musician/ techno guy, who even realized bass parts, some piano parts, and a few improvised solos, all quite well. The important limitations of the samples seem to be in the area of balances and timbral details. It's hard to get a good idea of the richness of the real instrumental sounds and combinations available in the winds. The rhythm section and percussion sounds are among the best things about the samples

Gary will have most of the book on line soon, so people can see it and decide if they are interested enough to buy it. At that point, I will welcome comments from all of you smart guys and gals.

A lot of the work came pretty easily - this is the stuff I have been thinking about daily for years, but the organization was not so easy. We'll see what your collective reaction might be as soon as Gary puts it where you can see it. Meanwhile, I appreciate the interest from this group of interesting and erudite folks.

Chuck