On Nov 19, 2007, at 8:47 AM, dc wrote:

I have several disagreements with other editors on cautionary accidentals and would be interested in other opinions.

What cautionary accidentals would seem appropriate in the alto part, m.5, of this piece, bearing in mind that it is for three (solo) voices (1610, if that makes any difference):

http://www.philomela.net/ex/deus.jpg

1) fa natural
2) e natural
3) both
4) none

Ah, cautionaries are a big kettle of fish!

I'm afraid that I can only offer a modern perspective, which is that I would put 3) both in a modern piece.

Since this is obviously not a modern piece, but it might be considered to be a modern edition, then there are any number of ways that it might go, which I will now leave to other more-highly- qualified contributors.

Christopher