Barbara Touburg wrote:
David W. Fenton wrote:
On 19 Nov 2007 at 15:26, Barbara Touburg wrote:

I agree -- I wouldn't add any cautionaries at all. It seems perfectly fine to me, a "problem" that shows up only when reading the score. That kind of mode shift is standard for the repertory and I don't think it would give a singer a problem at all.

David, I think we might be purists!

Purists or not, you're obviously part of the initiated who have already learned much about the period and the style of music.

For people used to singing modern school choral works based in style on jazz/pop/broadway styles and who might select that particular edition as a first venture into a much older style, the cautionaries may well make for a better performance.

Which gets back to the point several have made about who is the audience the edition is intended for.

--
David H. Bailey