dhbailey wrote:

Corporate arrogance only works when one truly has a monopoly marketplace.

And thank goodness, that no longer is the case with notation software.

In one sense, both MM and Sibelius acts as monopolists, to an even higher degree than both Microsoft and Apple.

Both MM and Sibelius use their own (undocumented) file formats, and with absolutely no interest that work should be sharable. (The MusicXML support for both programs is maintained and provided by Recordare, not by the companies themselves.) Both these companies act in a either-you-use-our-program-for-everything-or-you-use-something-else kind of attitude. AFAIK, there has never been an open standard approaching from any music notation company. (Compare that with Steinberg, for example.)

As a comparison, Microsoft (and I believe Apple as well) document their file formats and provides tools to access the data from the outside world.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson