At 1:38 PM -0500 11/29/07, Darcy James Argue wrote:
John,

Take a look at the arrow keys on your MacBook Pro. In addition to the directional arrows, they have words printed on them. Words like "home," "end," and "page." Those alternate functions are enabled by the fn key. Same deal with the little numbers printed on the U, I, O, etc. keys -- when you hold down the fn key, they work as a substitute for the numeric keypad.

You're absolutely right!! I never noticed, because I have to take my glasses off to read the computer screen, but then can't read the little words on the keys!

And I didn't realize that "fn" would give me quick and temporary access to the embedded keypad. I regularly use Number Lock for entering scores in my gradesheets.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music