Christopher Smith / 08.6.20 / 5:14 PM wrote:

>What exactly do you understand C4 to mean, then? It is different
>from  what I thought, apparently, so even more reason to avoid it.

The rule we should agree on for consistency is that number represents
the highest note always, i.e., 6 means no 7th, 13th means it could
contain all the available tensions in the voicing.

Your example, C-F-Bb can be C7(sus omit 5th) or C-7(sus omit 5th).

If it were written as C-11, you can expect to hear 4th voicings like C-F-
Bb from most of the players, but you won't get that sound if it were
written as dominant sus.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>