When I first started arranging and orchestrating, tensions in chords symbols (9, 11, 13) were only placed in ( ) when altered. I've never really seen C9 written as C7(9) in all my travels. It seems silly. That was the notational convention then, and AFAIK, still is. OTOH, when I started using C(9) during sessions and rehearsals when I lived and worked in LA, it was NEVER questioned. But then, neither would C7(9) be questioned. But it takes longer to write and that was one of my points.

J D  Thomas
ThomaStudios
West Linn  OR
www.thomastudios.com