On Jun 20, 2008, at 5:24 PM, jd IMAP wrote:

I have never seen or heard of a C4 interpreted as C-F-Bb. I've used that chord symbol thousands upon thousands of times and not once was it misinterpreted. At least by pros. Beyond that, I don't speculate.

Maybe it's a right vs left coast thing. I still hate those triangles for major 7ths and the minus dash for minor 7ths. Ugh.

May I refer you to the Gibraltar and Friends fakebook (not its official name, but that's the first tune), in which the turnaround for Stolen Moments (4th structure built up from D, (D,G, C) rises in semitones, and is noted as D4, Eb4, etc.? Other tunes in the book are similar.

That's partly why I don't like ambiguous chord symbols.

Christopher