Andrew Stiller wrote:
 > I addressed this in a posting two  days ago to which there  has been no
 response whatever. Let me repeat": 8vb had *zero* presence in the
 > classical world until about ten years ago, if that.

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
Andrew is usually right, so I went back to my dusty boxes and checked
manuscripts from 1967 until I started using Finale in 1993.

I never used "8va" for transposition down. But my manuscripts had three
versions: "8vab" (used in just one manuscript); just plain "8" for up or
down with a starting hook as well as an ending hook (my most frequent
choice); and "8" with an arrow following it to indicate up or down (used
in two manuscripts).

It appears that 8vb had been so completely logical that it had altered my
own memories of what I used.

Tip o' the osmiroid again to Andrew.

Because I also know that Andrew is almost always right, I checked my old hand-written manuscripts (pre-Finale) and saw that I usually used 8 (or 15) without the letters for octave transpositions up and down.

My memory of how I came to use 8vb is still fuzzy, but this is how I think it went down:

Finale came out in 1988 and featured the Petrucci font which had 8va and 8vb characters. For proper playback at the time, it was convenient to turn those characters into Expressions that transposed one octave up and down respectively. The difference helped to avoid choosing the wrong one if you might have wanted to use two versions of "8" in the Expressions library. (One octave higher and one lower).

When Smart Shapes incorporated the 8va with the dotted extension line, they didn't play back with the transpositions at first, so many people kept doing things the old way. When they eventually added the correct playback, that's when we lobbied the Finale people to add 8vb as an option so that new scores would match what we had been doing in Finale up until that point.

I noticed that many of the fonts that came out right after Finale was introduced also included 8vb and 15mb, just like Petrucci (e.g., Crescendo, Grace Notes, Toccata, and Fughetta). The Sonata font had characters for "8ab.", "8va" and "8vb".

Those fonts all date from around 1988 to 1990 and Sonata is from 1986!, before Finale was introduced.

It might have been computer notation that started the 8vb trend, but its usage is at least 20 years old.

-Randolph Peters