At 4:01 PM -0400 6/20/08, Christopher Smith wrote:

Taking "8vb" to mean "ottava bassa" is so common nowadays as to eclipse the original usage. I would put 8va above and 8vb below wherever space permits, though.

I don't expect to convince anyone, but doesn't that assume that everyone copying music is using one of the computer engraving programs that have adopted the practice? That's like assuming that everyone has a computer, or a cell phone, or an iPod. They don't!!! Lots of people do. Since I teach college students, lots of people whom I know do. But everyone? No way!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music