Christopher Smith wrote:
...I did it that way when I was using pen and ink, too. Finale didn't invent the practice; it was current for most the second half of the 20th century, as far as I can make out. Not everyone used it, but it WAS used, and I find it very clear and unambiguous.

I replied:
I have to second what Christopher says. I remember being one of a number of people who lobbied the Finale people to include 8vb as a notational option in the program. I can't remember in what version they added it though.

John Howell added:
I can't argue with everyone's practical experience, but could this be one of the things (one of the MANY things!) in which jazz practice and classical practice differ? After all, classical players are quite often playing from 19th century engravings.

I'm not a jazzer, but speaking as a composer, I'm sure that many contemporary notational practices have their origin in the jazz world. (To say nothing of other musical borrowings.)

I've often asked for falls, doits, and shakes for example, and most classical players have had no problem producing them. I can't vouch for the jazz origin of 8vb though. It just seems like an understandable, clear, concise instruction that avoids the problem of the lower staff of a piano part interfering with the top staff of the next system (among other things).

-Randolph Peters