> jd IMAP wrote:
> > I like the 8vb for the octave lower rather than the 8va.  I
> think it's
> > reactively clearer.  And I use it via Smart Shape since it
> breaks systems.
> >

> But it's a bastardization of the original 8va which does not mean
> "ottava alta" or any such thing.  It simply meant "ottava" or
> "octave."
>   Its placement above the music means an octave above, and
> its placement
> below the music means to play the music an octave below what
> is written.
>
> So to put a 'b' in place of the 'a' simply produces a nonsense
> abbreviation of a non-existent word.
>
> Would everybody understand it?  I doubt it.  Does everybody
> understand
> what '8va' means when placed beneath a row of notes?

I was about to respond to this in strong support of the clarity of
'8vb', but then checked against a piece I'd played yesterday, in which I
knew I'd seen such a marking.  (For reference - Lili Boulanger,
'Nocturne', ABRSM Grade 6 violin.  Cracking piece.)

And there it is in front of me.  '8va' in the bass.  Despite my
evidently abstract opinion that such a marking 'just looks wrong', I'd
misremembered it as '8vb'.  Hmmm.