On Jun 21, 2008, at 3:18 PM, John Howell wrote:

I can't argue with everyone's practical experience, but could this be one of the things (one of the MANY things!) in which jazz practice and classical practice differ? After all, classical players are quite often playing from 19th century engravings.

I addressed this in a posting two days ago to which there has been no response whatever. Let me repeat": 8vb had *zero* presence in the classical world until about ten years ago, if that. It is gradually creeping in now precisely because it is the default in Finale.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/