I went a couple of times to a weird little sweatshop where they did
big printing/binding jobs. I was there because they were listed on the
Plasticoil website as a dealer. A dozen middle-aged women of dubious
immigration status were squinting over piles of books that they were
preparing in a dim and dingy little space that had at best a concrete
floor. From the outside it is a nondescript little house in the
business district of one of the older, quiet suburbs.

I just wanted a few 36" coils, which the forewoman gave me out of her
box without charging. Point is, if you hit at the right time they'll
sometimes do something like a single book binding as a courtesy,
because they aren't in the retail business. The downside is, you can't
really patronize a place like that more than once or twice (at widely
spaced intervals).