I am a programmer, too, and for about as long. I have encountered situations
similar to what you've described below. There may be issues with having large
staff lists (performance, field count bit size, whatever), but I can't see the
reason for 4, as opposed to say, 8 or 16. I am not in their shoes, and maybe
they've encountered a limit beyond my experience, but I find that hard to
believe. They've removed features - they did not warn the user base, they did
not "deprecate" old features, and I think that is what most find offensive. We
have had no time to prepare, and have forced some of us to consider not
upgrading (I did upgrade, by the way, and I like WinFin2k9). This is simply bad
business. And, in the battle between business needs and programming, I have
found that programming usually loses. Seeing as they have not cited any
programming benefit, I can only conclude otherwise. Of course, if any of the MM
lurkers wish to correct me, I will stand corrected on that point.

Nevertheless: removal of a capability, no user base preparation (I mean all of
us), and, in my mind, several workable alternatives to what they could have
done, instead. Goodness - they could have written a plug-in that would scan the
document and say "hey, too many staff lists - WB will be upset!" if it were
just the publ houses.

Sorry. As a long-time program project manager, this is a hot button for me.