Craig Parmerlee wrote:
I wonder if we should be giving them some benefit of the doubt on this subject. As a professional software designer for 35 years, it seems entirely plausible to me that they may have faced a point where preserving unlimited staff names, in combination with other new features. would have taken significant extra programming and testing effort. In cases like that, I believe it is appropriate for the system architects / business planners to make some judgments about their overall vision for the product. That seems to be the case in this instance. Their vision is, evidently, that they want to put their effort into the more elegant organization of expressions. If there were absolutely no trade-off involved and they made this change just to be hard-headed, that would be a bad deal. I really doubt that was the scenario though.

That is my thinking on the subject as well, but the only justification brought out by the people at MakeMusic seems to be that publishers have asked for Finale to be more like Sibelius.

Hard-headedness seems to be the only public justification given.

I wonder what other Sibelius-like changes will be coming in the future versions, since Publishers seem to be able to get MakeMusic to jump when they want. Will they eliminate the pitch-first-then-rhythm data entry since Sibelius doesn't allow that?

Will they muck up playback of some D.S. / D.C. forms since Sibelius doesn't play them back properly yet?

How about data file format? Why don't the publishers demand that Finale provide Sibelius-format files so that submissions can come from either program but can be worked on in-house with only one program?

I would love to know what sort of pressure to do things in a specific way that publishers are bringing to bear on Sibelius to try to get it to work more like Finale, if any?

Is it only a one-way street? If so, where did Finale drop the ball and allow Sibelius to gain such a strong foothold that people can demand that Finale be more like Sibelius and actually get their way?

--
David H. Bailey