Hi Noel,
It sounds like you're thinking of something along the lines of Van Crevel's edition of Obrecht in 1959, where he dispensed with bar lines completely and just used little wedges above the staff to denote the tactus (take a look at his edition of Obrecht's Missa Sub tuum presitium in the Opera Omnia, for example). I thought this was a pretty neat idea _ for a while, but it didn't catch on and nobody uses it today. (Singers don't like it either. For a performance of the above mass, I once had to draw in bar lines by hand!) I admit to having dabbled in Mensurstrich in my youth, as this was more or less the politically correct way to notate the polyphony of the Renaissance when I was a student, but this, too, seems to be slowly dying out, and I'm pleased to see that Cris Maas' New Obrecht Edition uses bar lines (staff only) and ties between bars. Which, as it turns out, was the way musicians of the (late) Renaissance wrote down their works when they had to put them into score (for organists or study, see, for example, the printed edition of Frescobaldi's Ricercari et canzoni francese printed in 1615, the famous edition of Gesualdo's madrigals printed in 1613 or the manuscript scores in Lowinsky's article on scores in the Renaissance.) But, as I say, there are still small pockets of resistance to this general practice (see van Benthem's Ockeghem edition and, of course, the New Josquin Edition), and it would be nice to be able to accommodate them.
All the best!
Eric
Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de