At 11:22 AM +0100 10/27/08, Eric Fiedler wrote:
Thanks Noel,
FinMac 2009, OS 10.4.11 (which, by the way, _seems_ to be OK up to now. Keeping my fingers crossed ...) What you suggest could work - but I was hoping for something a little less cumbersome, as such measures occur _a lot_ in the music of the Renaissance. I guess I was hoping for a command to make bar lines independent, as you can with key and time signatures ...

Can't happen because Finale (and Sibelius, and Mosaic) use the measure as a fixed amount. That's why, when I do editions of renaissance music, I take out the barlines completely except at rehearsal marks, but even that requires a work-around to try to avoid ties across the barlines that the program still insists are there! I could do it in Mosaic, but can't yet do it in Sibelius.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.