At 12:16 AM -0500 1/18/09, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Jan 17, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Adam Golding wrote:

Yeah the 'popular' chord notation (anyone know where this came from
originally?)

Strangely, it came from an adaptation of classical figured bass. This is why the exception to the "all chord members are major unless otherwise specified" rule is THE SEVENTH, which is minor by default, because the first 7th chord in classical music was a dominant seventh chord.

Hi, Christopher. I'm afraid that's quite the opposite of what I teach. Popular chord symbols (which were first adopted and then adapted for jazz) actually came from early 20th century Tin Pan Alley sheet music. It included either guitar boxes, ukulele boxes, or banjo boxes, but couldn't include all 3 so they added an alphabetic indication of the chord so it could be realized by any chordal instrument. It had, as far as I can see, absolutely no connection with baroque figured bass, which was a totally different system dependent on a bass line and related to the prevailing key and key signature (as you mention). In fact I would hazard a guess that the great majority of Tin Pan Alley songwriters wouldn't have recognized figured bass if it bit the on the, er, base!

And the "rules" you cite (quite correctly) were simply an outgrowth of the most common chord vocabulary of the time, a vocabulary that can actually be found in the barbershop harmonies of the '90s and even in Verdi. Those Tin Pan Alley publishers believed in KISS!!

One danger in the early days was that the chord symbols too often represented the right-hand chord (for the pianist), but did NOT indicate function or bass note. That was still true as late as the sheet music of Richard Rodgers, and you can't always trust his chord symbols to mean what we think they should. And I don't recall seeing fractional notation, indicating an inversion and/or a bass note, prior to the early '60s, although my experience at that point was not drastically broad. I believe that it was the songs of Bert Bacharach, among others, that required that notation, since it was he who popularized the subdominant over dominant bass as a cadential chord rather than just a pre-cadential chord. (IV/V - I, rather that V7 - I)

The thing I have to remind all my jazz theory students is that jazz/popular chord symbols have nothing to do with the key. They are completely independent. A C7 is the same four notes no matter what the key signature is.

Exactly so. On this we are in complete agreement, but to me it is a clear differentiation from figured bass. Same problem, same need; totally different solutions.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.