On Jan 18, 2009, at 10:11 AM, John Howell wrote:

One danger in the early days was that the chord symbols too often represented the right-hand chord (for the pianist), but did NOT indicate function or bass note. That was still true as late as the sheet music of Richard Rodgers, and you can't always trust his chord symbols to mean what we think they should.

This remains a danger when using "original" published music as the basis for contemporary interpretation, even before any consideration of alternate harmony. Bass notes (inversions) are either not considered or sometimes incorrectly indicated.

And I don't recall seeing fractional notation, indicating an inversion and/or a bass note, prior to the early '60s, although my experience at that point was not drastically broad. I believe that it was the songs of Bert Bacharach, among others, that required that notation, since it was he who popularized the subdominant over dominant bass as a cadential chord rather than just a pre-cadential chord. (IV/V - I, rather that V7 - I)

I don't know if Bacharach was early in this practice or not, but "alternate" bass notes are characteristic of his music (not only in the cadential example indicated here), and he was intentional in his choices. (I tried to "improve" the bass line of a piece of his I played probably a thousand times in the pit of "Promises, Promises." It was a short lived attempt and Burt was quick to let me know he wasn't pleased. I didn't like his bass lines either, but it was his music (and his money!).

Chuck

The thing I have to remind all my jazz theory students is that jazz/ popular chord symbols have nothing to do with the key. They are completely independent. A C7 is the same four notes no matter what the key signature is.

Exactly so. On this we are in complete agreement, but to me it is a clear differentiation from figured bass. Same problem, same need; totally different solutions.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836