On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:17 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 2:50 PM -0500 1/18/09, David W. Fenton wrote:

Were the chord symbols printed in the publications of Richard
Rodgers' music "his" symbols, or those of an arranger? Frankly, I
strongly doubt that we should attribute them to Rodgers himself.

A valid point, David, although Rodgers was certainly a better- trained musicians than, say, Irving Berlin, and I doubt that he needed a "musical secretary." But I wouldn't even attempt to untangle the probable web of songwriter; "arranger" (if any; Rodgers did play piano pretty well); "editor" (probably hired by his publisher); and publisher ( businessmen always blamed for errors or editorial decisions, but very seldom having anything to do with them). Given his background, I would certainly expect the chords to have been his, but I have no way of proving it. (I wonder whether orignal mss. exist somewhere. Or whether Rodgers' wife had anything to say about it in her book.) Certainly the written piano chords in the sheet music must have been his, whether or not he personally derived the chord symbols from them. No competent songwriter would leave those to chance. One huge difference between his sheet music and that of later songwriters is the number of harmonic changes per measure rather than letting a single chord suffice for a full measure or more. (Not unlike many questions about baroque music, actually, including the harmonic comparison of Bach and Handel!)

Richard Rodgers had apparently said to an interviewer once, "I would kill an orchestrator who changed one of my voicings" or words to that effect. I don't know the citation exactly, but I certainly remember the gist of it vividly, that he insisted on the vertical content of his music to be just so.

Like Jerome Kern and Stephen Sondheim (that spring to mind right away), he seems to have written fairly complete piano accompaniments to his songs, which were then orchestrated with a minimum of added material.

The guitar chords in the published sheet music were almost certainly added later by an editor, and do not reflect the way Rodgers himself thought of his harmony.

Christopher