In support of accreditation and other requirements, we're planning on adding
technology modules to our existing courses in theory and musicianship
(sight-singing/eartraining). There is no way to add any separate course to the
curriculum.

One thought was to use NOTEPAD as an introductory version. I have been trying
it out and find that its limitations (in spite of having MusicXML
import/export) are too annoying to abide. A vigorous supporter of SPEEDY ENTRY,
I find SIMPLE ENTRY beyond frustrating to use.

For fast entry, I teach SHARPEYE. I also like Myriad's PDF TO MUSIC PRO. These
are especially useful for advanced theory courses like counterpoint and
orchestration. I have several other scanning programs, but clunky, old SHARPEYE
still gives me the best results;-)

I have always liked Hal Owen's tutorials and believe they are skill-appropriate
for even novice musicians as they present FINALE in a mode that speaks to us as
musicians

A secondary goal is to increase the usage of our computer lab.

I would appreciate on and off-list input from list-members about this idea.

I have SIBELIUS and maintain a current license in each upgrade. I even had a
student who was using it for a tech course I taught in the past. What he and I
discovered was that SIBELIUS lacked the flexibility to handle multiple screens
and to copy items across files, all possible in FINALE. I realize our students
might find them in situations where SIBELIUS has been adopted by a school
system, I simply see it as inoperative beyond doing a project from scratch.

Another "strike" against SIBELIUS is the FINALE-SMARTMUSIC connection. As a

I will be working on this all semester for incorpaoration by Fall 2009. Please
share your opinions and experiences with me;-)

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
  Sam Houston State University
  Box 2208