On 17 Feb 2009 at 0:07, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2009, at 11:56 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > Certainly I could auto-update layout and avoid this problem, but I'm
> > *never* going to do that.
>
> I will repeat, for not the first time, that I do not understand the
> rationale for anyone leaving "Automatically Update Layout" off. In
> fact, I don't even understand why Finale allows turning it off as an
> option. It should be always on. There is, as far as I can tell, no
> advantage at all to turning it off. And it is infuriating that recent
> versions of Finale tend to "forget" this setting and require you to
> turn it on manually every time you launch the app.

Uh, I've had it OFF as long as the feature has existed, but this is
the first time it's ever done this -- there was no reason that page
layout needed to be updated. It was perfect as is, and none of my
edits were to data that would have altered the page layout (and
couldn't have done so, anyway, since systems were locked, with hard
system breaks and hard page breaks).

There is simply no excuse for repeating a system from one page to
another. That's a bug. I shouldn't have to update page layout
(manually or automatically) just to be sure I don't encounter that
bug.

> > I did nothing but alter
> > some of the note values in some measures (altering quite a few dotted
> > whole notes to be whole notes plus half rest).
>
> David, no disrespect, but OF COURSE you need to do an update layout
> after altering note values! That is a classic instance of a situation
> that requires you to update layout.

Why? I didn't respace, and certainly don't have automatic music
spacing turned on (why would I do that? that's 1000 times worse that
automatic page layout updating). Indeed, the system layout remained
identical. The only difference was that Finale created two phantom
systems that were nothing more than repeats of the last system of the

> Again, this is why I feel that the layout should always update
> automatically.

And I respectfully disagree. I don't want things jumping around
onscreen while I'm working. And the way automatic page layout works
means that there's far more page layout recalculating done than is
necessary (because the automatic page layout recalc on the current
page discards the layout for all subsequent pages, which means they
have to be recalced, as opposed to a manual recalc which will update
the layout from the present page to the end of the document).

This is a stupid bug.

There is no excuse for printing phantom systems on phantom pages.

My question remains: is the bug fixed? Or is everybody using
automatic layout updates so they wouldn't encounter it even if the
bug still existed?