On 17.02.2009 David W. Fenton wrote:
The reason why this bothers me is because it means data is constantly being discarded and recreated. This means that there will be a certain level of fragmentation in the file's internal structures (whether in RAM only, in temp files only, or in the actual file image saved on the hard drive, I don't know). This kind of fragmentation is the kind of thing that can lead to file corruption, so I want to avoid as much of that as possible.

Well, I am not an expert on Finale's data structures, but I am pretty sure updating the layout actually changes nothing in the file itself. All it does is cause a re-calc of how this data is parsed. I don't believe there are any reports of any problems with automatic layout updates causing any corruption at all, if anything it tidies up the mess.

Go switch it on.