On 1-Apr-09, at 1-Apr-09  5:55 PM, Lee Actor wrote:

While I can't argue with you about the stackability issue,
I've had just as many coil spiral bindings break on me over
the years as I've had comb bindings break.  I bind many of
the scores I print up for my own use in my community band
director's job with comb bindings, and they have lasted just
fine.

And I've never had a problem with noisy page turns while
using a score I've comb-bound myself.

--
David H. Bailey

Are you talking about plastic coils or metal coils? I've been using plastic coils for years and have a hard time even imagining one breaking, short of
using wire cutters on it.

I'm the same as you. I'm starting to think there might be regional quality issues involved here. My coils are tough like nylon, and the local combs get stiff and crack quickly, but Andrew's big fat comb binding on his book is pretty good still, and David reports breakage with coils.

Christopher