I use plastic coils and an Akiles punch (bought from Nick Carter) and find them to be quiet, strong and practical.

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2009, at 5:46 AM, Christopher Smith <christopher.sm...@videotron.ca > wrote:

On Mar 31, 2009, at 7:36 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

Most of my full scores are 11"x14", which I bind myself using an Akiles Coil-Mac and a supply of 36" plastic coils; so far, 3 different sizes of coils (8mm, 10mm, and 12mm) have been adequate to handle all my scores from smallest to largest (140+ pages -- no operas yet). There are several advantages to investing in the equipment to bind your scores yourself instead of taking them to a place like Kinko's, not the least of which is that they typically only carry 12" coils -- not ideal for larger conductor's scores. For other reasons not to go to Kinko's, fill in your favorite horror story here: _____________ (everyone who's been to a Kinko's has one).

I would not use plastic coils ever again. They break easily, and they are too noisy for any recording situation. I am tempted to get a wire binding system, but they are quite expensive. I don't really need those often, so the local photocopying shop will usually do.

Are you talking about coils (the Coil Mac, which I have, does spiral coils) or combs (Cerlox bindings?)

The plastic coils I got for the CoilMac are sturdy and quiet. I have never broken one yet. Combs, on the other hand, ARE noisy and fragile.

Plus, the nearest place that can do coils is 10 kilometers away. I own my own machine now for that reason.

Christopher