Christopher Smith wrote:

I have a phone book that I print out every year or two on my computer, cut into quarters and bind. It goes in and out of my coat pocket, or the side pouch of my bag, or gets thrown into my trombone gig bag. Granted, this is a torture test, but the comb bindings I have used have all broken in a few months and the paper holes are worn or worn out, whereas the plastic coil binding I used last is still going strong after two years. Not much music gets subject to THAT kind of wear (unless you are teaching high school or amateur choirs) but it made the point for me. Plus, if you are in the habit of stacking your music flat, the coils can fit in between each other but the combs don't.

While I can't argue with you about the stackability issue, I've had just as many coil spiral bindings break on me over the years as I've had comb bindings break. I bind many of the scores I print up for my own use in my community band director's job with comb bindings, and they have lasted just fine.

And I've never had a problem with noisy page turns while using a score I've comb-bound myself.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com