Hi Andrew

On 26 Jun 2009, at 6:47 AM, Andrew Moschou wrote:

You can do the next best thing and say put the text at 130 mm (or whatever)
from the top margin.

But this is not the "next best thing." If I want a 96 pt. page turn arrow vertically and horizontally centered on a 9" tall page, what values do I enter? Well, it depends how tall the font arrow glyph is. But how do I know how tall it is? I would have to buy a font editor to find out. And then what if the client decides they want 9.5" tall paper instead, mid-project?

The whole UI for this is a bit absurd -- Finale can do this easily, Siblelius makes me eyeball it.

The normal header and footer text styles should work already and repeat
across music and blank pages on left or right or both sides.

This does not work for new pages added before the first page.

I also always find it incredibly frustrating that there is no mechanism in
Sibelius for directly changing the font and/or font size. Everything has to
be done via Text Styles.

It's in the Text pane of the Properties window, font and size selection and Bold, Italic, Underline attributes, which can be applied to any portion of
the text.

Ah, so *that* is where it is hidden! Thank you, that is extremely helpful. (I should have known to check there -- Sib hides a lot of its more useful features in the Properties window.)

Text styles can be powerful when used exclusively, but we're not
limited to them for good reason (otherwise text like "p cresc." would be
impossible because "p" is in the music text font).

I have always done that by using the keyboard shortcuts for the dynamic "p" and then typing cresc. -- or, when there is no keyboard shortcut, but selecting the needed symbol by right-clicking. I wasn't aware you could also do this via the Properties window, so thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
djar...@earthlink.net