On 24 Feb 2010 at 12:23, Ryan wrote:

> I tried using that but the composer wants me to use the other symbol.

I'm not sure I'd be able to figure it out without some pondering. It
looks too much like a smart slur gone bad to me. It also makes me
think of a pedal marking for an organist that got too big and ended
up misplace.

I'm all for using standard notation, myself, unless there's some
reason standard notation is problematic. In this case, I can't see
any problem with the conventional symbol, and foresee potential
confusion with what the composer is asking for.