On 24 Feb 2010 at 13:08, Ryan wrote:

> I don't recall the names of the publishers, but I did notice that they
> were all fairly recent editions. Mostly song collections and method book
> type stuff for young/beginning pianists.

Perhaps they were engraved by substandard or inexperienced engravers?

Frankly, I think it's a *terrible* symbol as it's so easily
confusable with other things, and to me, not immediately obvious what
it's for.

Were I in your position, I'd try to convince the composer that it's a
mistake to use a symble that clearly follows no established
convention for indicating the same thing.