At 10:40 AM -0800 2/24/10, Ryan wrote:
Does Finale have this "U"-shaped symbol in the lower staff? It's used to
tell the pianist to play the note with the other hand.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/rwb76/Thumb_symbol.jpg

I haven't found it in the built-in articulation libraries. I haven't started
looking through other fonts like Toccata, yet, but I hope someone knows
where to find it and can help me save some time!

Replying late (busy week!). While I'm not a pianist, I have never seen that symbol and would have absolutely no idea what it means. It is definitely non-standard, and so far no one has been able to find an example of its use in standard notation. If it were me, I'd notate the D3 in the treble clef, stem down--no ambiguity at all.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.