You've already gotten the best advice for Finale, I think, which is to
use the Shape Designer. One approach you might consider is to make a
shape-designer articulation (instead of an expression). This may be
better for you, especially if you don't ever have to edit the shape
after you have created it, as it will offer a lot of note-based
autopositioning options.