On 7 May 2010 at 22:43, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> In other words, it's a Finale error, not an OS error. Something went
> wrong while working with your document in Finale, and after that
> point, everything you saved, by whatever method (autosave,
> auto-backup, manual save, Save As, etc) was corrupt.

Not necessarily. It depends on how Finale makes its backups and
autosave files.

Say you have a file open, MyMusic.mus.

You save it and in the process, it gets corrupted on disk.

When you do that, the previous, uncorrupted version, is renamed to be
the backup file, MyMusic.bak. At this point, MyMusic.bak is not
corrupt, but MyMusic.mus is corrupt.

The next time you save, the corrupt MyMusic.mus is written over the
uncorrupted MyMusic.bak, and now you have two corrupt files.

I don't know how the autosave file is created, but if the same
problem that created the corruption in the saved file kicks in for
the autosave file, that, too, will be corrupt.

Whatever was interfering with the writing of a noncorrupt file image
to disk would get propagated with each set of saves.

On the other hand, you could preserve the uncorrupted versions if you
did a SAVE AS each time under a new name instead of a SAVE, because
those would be new files, rather than overwriting uncorrupt versions
with the corrupted version.

I would hesitate to blame this directly on Finale. On the other hand,
it would terrify me if I found out my OS's file system was not
reliable. So, I'd tend to blame something else that got in the way of
Finale communicating properly with the file system. On Windows, that
could very easily be an AV program, but nobody on Mac runs those, so
I wouldn't know what the source of the problem could be.

Disturbing, indeed, no matter what.