On 23 Jun 2010 at 16:13, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM, David W. Fenton
> <lists.fin...@dfenton.com> wrote:
>

> >> I know an early
> >> music orchestra that apparently had to help cover the recording
> >> costs for a CD they did with Chandos too. I wondered why didn't the
> >> ensemble just do their own recording and save all that expense
> >> themselves? I guess the answer is-- the labels have the
> >> distribution outlets.
> >
> > What distribution channels would those be?
>
> Well Naxos USA was the distributor for Chandos in the United States.
> I'm not sure what the decision process is for a distributor to pick up
> a label. When I worked as an editor for new classical music cd
> releases at a data mining company, I was honestly shocked at the sheer
> number of small labels and how prolific their releases were! My dept
> input at least 300 CDs a month!

I just don't see the value of having one of these labels as your
distributor.

I haven't bought a physical CD in a "record store" for 5 years or
more.

I haven't bought a physical CD online in several years (though that's
as much to do with poverty as anything else).

The CD Baby model allows you access to all the major distribution
channels for physical CDs if you choose to use it, so I'm just not
seeing what advantage having your CD recorded/marketed by Naxos or
any other commercial label gives you in terms of distribution.

When music buyers are finding what they want by searching iTunes or
Amazon.com or wherever, who cares about the label? It's the content
that matters, and if people want the content, they'll buy it even if
it's from a label that produces one recording every five years --
they won't know this nor care. While you need the access to iTunes
and Amazon and the other big players, as I said, that can be done
through services like CD Baby.

I'm just not getting what the advantage of raising the money for a
Naxos recording is, as opposed to hiring your own recording engineers
and producing and pressing the thing yourself.