On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM, David W. Fenton
<lists.fin...@dfenton.com> wrote:

> Then do you have some explanation of why musical organizations think
> it's worth their while to invest all that money in paying the
> commercial labels to produce/distribute their recordings?

My guess is maybe because they're doing so much already, trying to
juggle another set of balls would just overtax their time and
resources. For example, I really wanted to put my editions into hard
bound versions and I've looked into book binding and everything
related to that. And doing all of that myself if I just had the proper
tools. Then I looked into Lulu.com as well, but Johannes mentioned he
didn't have much luck with them. I gave up after a while. My main
thing is to edit the music and get it out there for the performers.  I
suppose it's the same deal for ensembles producing their own CDs. The
large orchestras can do this maybe ecause they have the money and the
staff to do it. But again, that's just a guess on my part.

But I still wished I could do recordings of my editions and get them
heard, because music that's just sitting on a page really isn't
"alive."

Thanks

Kim