From: Darcy James Argue [mailto:djar...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 9:38 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Playback in transposed scores while entering notes

Hi David,

There is no software solution. The solution for me has been to become
accustomed to doing all my note entry in concert pitch, then flipping to
transposed pitch for everything else.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org

On 3 Jan 2011, at 3:36 PM, David Froom wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a question related to the discussion about transposed scores
(scores with or without key signatures, but where instruments are notated as
the players see them, so if Bb clarinet has a written C, it sounds as Bb).

> I routinely write and think in transposed scores, and write music without
key signatures.  So, I use the chromatic transposition setting in the staff
setting, as many have been discussing.  It looks right and it plays back
right.  No issues.  If I'm copying something that has key signatures, I let
the setup wizard take care of it, and once again, it looks and plays back
fine.

> But ... here is what really bothers me.  As I'm entering the notes in
speedy, Finale plays them for me in "C."  For example, I'm writing a piece
right now for alto saxophone.  If I want to write a C, which sounds as an
Eb, I play the C on my midi keyboard, and I hear a C as I'm entering the
note.  If I exit speedy and play back, I hear the Eb.  This is annoying,
especially while editing and changing things directly in Finale, to hear the
"untransposed" note while entering it.  It also slows me down, as I have to
transpose twice (from what I hear and play to what I want to hear, and then
from what I see to what I want to hear).

> Does anyone know if this is fixable?  I want to hear what the player will
produce, not only during playback, but as I'm entering the pitch.  Is there
a setting for that?