Sheepshaver does a decent job of emulating Mac OS9, but it lacks support for
the Laser Printer driver, which means you can't generate a proper PS file: a
crucial omission.

There is another emulator that works for Motorola macs running, e.g., System
7. As a joke, Makemusic released a self-contained file of this emulator
running the first version of Finale, but it could run up to 2.6.3 as well. I
never checked to see if I could generate a PS file from it.

The good news about both emulators is they are open source, so someone could
come along and add the missing pieces.

On the Windows side the emulators are better. DOS and Win32 have had a much
better track record of backwards compatibility in contemporary hardware.
This is largely due to their one-time overwhelming market dominance and also
the unflagging efforts of one particular compatibility-zealot at Microsoft
(who is no longer there). None of the later Microsoft technologies have
enjoyed anything like the same level of backwards compatibility, and I
expect at some point Microsoft will make the same calculation as Apple has
and drop support for DOS and Win32. The reality is, no major developer uses
them any more. All the major players that use MS technology are using some
flavor of ASPX, a technology with a far sketchier history of backwards
compatibility. Perhaps the main thing keeping Win32 alive is Microsoft
Office!