On 28 Feb 2011 at 15:00, Robert Patterson wrote:

> Erm. I am a real Windows programmer (in a corporate shop) developing
> for real apps. Our legacy stuff uses desktop technology, but all
> future, i.e., "next gen" plans involved the cloud.

Yes, of course, just like c. 2000 the future of all database
interaction was ADO. That didn't last long (that's just the example
that's most important for me, where I saw through the hype at the
beginning and didn't drink the Kool Aid and ended up in good shape,
not having invested in a technology that MS replaced with something
entirely different).

MS marketing pushes a lot of things that turn out to not be. They
also plan a lot of things that never come to pass (are you enjoying
using your WinFS?).

> And none of our
> development projects in the last ten years or more gives a whit about
> Win32.

Yes, as I said in my own post, the development tools have become a
default API. But the .NET framework, for instance, definitely sits on
top of the Windows API, so you're still using it, just indirectly.

> All they care about is which framework they are working on.
> What I am saying is that the Windows API will become one and the same
> as the .Net Framework, and how that framework is implemented no one
> will care except Microsoft.

This may or may not happen, but if it does, I guarantee you it won't
be in the Win8 timeframe, and it won't be implemented without full
backward compatibility for at least 10 years following the change.

> David, I have no doubt you can tear the specifics of this article to
> shreds (especially given the fact that it is rather old). I can do it
> myself, so you needn't bother. But it is an example of the kind of
> speculation I am talking about:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/what-would-windows-be-without-win3
> 2/1586

Mary Jo Foley is the best you can do? Seriously? Did you not note
that I said "reputable?" Maybe I should have said "technical" (as
opposed to "tech journalist").