The Windows "desktop environment" these days is WCF. (Win Forms is
deprecated.) WCF is a chameleon that can be hosted either on the desktop or
in ASP.NET by Silverlight. None of these is dependent on the Win API.
Rather, they are dependent on the .NET Framework which admittedly is
currenty still implemented on the Win API. But there is no reason it will be
in the future, and indeed there has been rampant speculation that it won't
be in a future release, possibly as soon as Windows 8. The reality, though,
is that no major new development initiatives use the "desktop environment"
anymore. Everything these days is web, web, web, and cloud, cloud, cloud.

Microsoft will continue to support WinXP virtualization exactly until they
calculate that depriving their users of it will cost them less than
continuing to support it.