On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Daniel Wolf wrote:

> Common practice or not (and I have found enough counter examples in my
> library to call the "common practice" into question), it makes some
> syntactic sense that the comma (or semi-comma) does not occur within a
> word, and as the extension is a lengthening of the word, placing the comma
> between the word and its extension is misleading.  Moreover, having the
> comma after the extension _could_ be useful to an interpreter, for example
> as a suggestion for breathing. Thank you, Dennis, for your elegant
> solution and examples.

I agree with Daniel on this, and I was a little surprised to see so many people
say or imply this is unorthodox.  I've seen plenty of old sources that put the
comma after the word extension, and I prefer it. I also had a regular client
who asked for it that way, and I had to tell her it couldn't be easily done. I
think this is another case where limitations of the software have forced a
standard, and it's been long enough now that people think it's weird to see it
any other way.

mdl