At 8:11 AM -0700 8/7/11, Mark D Lew wrote:

>I agree with Daniel on this, and I was a little
>surprised to see so many people say or imply
>this is unorthodox.  I've seen plenty of old
>sources that put the comma after the word
>extension, and I prefer it. I also had a regular
>client who asked for it that way, and I had to
>tell her it couldn't be easily done. I think
>this is another case where limitations of the
>software have forced a standard, and it's been
>long enough now that people think it's weird to
>see it any other way.

That COULD be true, except that I would bet that
the convention goes back to pre-software days
when people engraved with metal on metal, and
even to (gasp!!!) using pen and ink!!!

And of course it's always possible to find
exceptions to any convention.  Some publishers
still use individual flags rather than beaming in
vocal music, and some singers actually like it
that way!

I'd say that the "rules" could be found in the
Chicago Style Manual, or the equivalent in the
APA Style Manual for the sciences, except that
writing text alone doesn't get into word
extensions.  Or maybe it does, in the case of an
inserted ellipsis, in which case the punctuation
mark DOES go at the end of the word, and not at
the end of the 3 dots.  On the other hand, with
an inserted parenthetical expression, the
punctuation goes AFTER the expression.

Of course I approach this question as a singer,
and as someone who writes a lot for singers, and
I know what I want to see and what I think is the
most unambiguous to a singer who is sightreading.
The more information and the sooner it's given,
the better.

I have a bunch of Broadway piano-vocal scores,
and if I have time tonight I'll take a quick look
through them.  But of course Daniel has to
satisfy his client, whatever any of us think.  He
was just asking HOW to do so.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms