David -

This is the kind of cord that solved this exact problem for me. And don't
underestimate the usb speed -  with the added memory I put into the HP 5000 it
was very fast.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SBT-UPPC-Parallel-6-Foot-Printer/dp/B0007UVRVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321646461&sr=8-1

John Blane
Blane Music Preparation